2hr Great Victorian Fish Count Seal Swim and Reef Snorkel Tour
- Duration: 2 Hours (approx.)
- Location: Sorrento, VIC
- Product code: 2H-GVFC-TR
Join the award-winning WaterMaarq on a 2 hour boat tour and apply citizen science techniques for the Great Victorian Fish Count on the Mornington Peninsula. Have fun snorkelling and swimming with seals on a boutique tour for 10 guests.
Explore the undiscovered Great Southern Reef, home to marine life only found in temperate waters. You'll get up close and personal to seals, rays, and unique fish like nowhere else. Visit a new world of colour on this fun boat tour from the pretty seaside town of Sorrento, near Melbourne.
On board Apollo, the tour will be a mixture of science and fun as your guide Jack shares the secrets of Port Phillip Bay's underwater world. First up you'll snorkel over the features of the Great Southern Reef, identifying fish and recording them on your tablet. This is exciting as you'll be discovering first hand which fish species live in Victoria's temperate waters. The colours and movement will surprise you as you collect important data on important fish species and any others not usually found in our waters for the biggest citizen-science event on Victoria's marine calendar.
Emerging from the water and hopping back onto the adventurous RIB eco-boat Apollo, we'll zoom over the swim with the most fun marine animals possibly on the planet, the Australian Fur Seals. Here you'll swim freely and enjoy a marine interaction like no other.
On tour you'll be exploring the vast chain of the Great Southern Reef beneath the water and its unusual yet often majestic marine life.
The Count has been running since 2002, led by the Victorian National Parks Association in partnership with Museum Victoria, Parks Victoria, Coastcare Victoria, RedMap, local dive operators and local community groups.
The data collected is uploaded to the Atlas of Living Australia (an online store for biodiversity data, currently with over 67 million records) to improve our knowledge of Victoria’s marine species.
According to Phillip Wierzbowski, from Coastcare Victoria, the Great Victorian Fish Count is “an experience that not only contributes to citizen science while admiring the diversity of Victoria’s marine life, it is great fun too”.
The Great Victorian Fish Count is supported by the Victorian Government.
- Swift eco style rigid inflatable boat
- Fun citizen science wildlife snorkelling adventure for the Great Victorian Fish Count project
- Opportunity to swim with Australian fur seals and see colourful fish
- Personalised approach for greater confidence, improve your snorkelling skills
- All equipment including warm wetsuits and snorkelling gear
- Range of prescription masks available
- Completely natural wildlife experience, no feeding or trained animals
- Face-to-face expert commentary and in-water supervision with qualified guides
Terms & Conditions:
- Tours depart from Sorrento Pier
- Directions to Sorrento Pier
- All Guests must be minimum 8 years of age
- All Guests must be minimum 100cm tall
- Please be at the pier at least 25 minutes before tour departure time to ensure you have enough time to check in, dress in your wetsuit and receive your snorkelling equipment
- Tours depart at the scheduled time and will not wait for late guests
- Please dress comfortably and warmly
- Please bring swimmers, a towel, a hat, sunglasses, camera and your own re-usable water bottle
- Guests must have basic swimming skills as a minimum. Snorkel tours do not cater for people with no swimming ability. The Captain retains the right to refuse passage
- Guests with back, neck, shoulder or heart conditions, those who are pregnant or who have injuries/conditions that may cause a risk to their health are advised to not do these tours, or do so at their own risk
- Sea conditions can be unpredictable at times, this may cause physical injury, psychological stress or motion sickness
- Tours are rarely cancelled, the experience provider will reschedule your tour only in the case of severe weather which would make the tour unsafe
- Subject to minimum numbers and may be rescheduled if minimum numbers are not met
- Guests will have the opportunity to spot dolphins, however sightings can not be guaranteed as they are wild animals
- Swimming with dolphins is not available on this tour
- The supplier reserves the right to substitute the vessel and / or change the day’s itinerary without notice
- Guests must provide at least 24 hours notice for cancellations or all fees will be forfeited