Private 1.5hr South Channel Fort Cruise
- Duration: 90 Minutes (approx.)
- Location: Sorrento, VIC
- Product code: 90M-SCF-CR
Explore the man-made island of South Channel Fort and gain exclusive access to the underground fort installation on a private RIB boat 1.5-hour adventure cruise for 2-12 guests.
Built in response to several 'war scares' between Britain and Russia and the threat of invasion, the unique shoal fort was modelled on the 1860 and 1876 Spithead forts used in the National defences of the naval bases and dockyards of Britain.
Military and history enthusiasts will enjoy the tour into the underground keep with it's labyrinth of passages, magazines and descent into the former lives of the officers that lived on the island.
At the South Channel Fort
Taking a guided walk around the fort, you'll not only enjoy the views and the unique birdlife including White-faced Storm Petrels (and potentially Penguins), you'll also gain access to the below ground features such as the Barracks, Kitchen and Ammunition stores which are closed to the public.
A historically, architecturally and now environmentally significant part of Victoria's history, we're delighted to share this little known gem of our region. By doing so, we hope to aid protection and conservation of our significant birdlife, marine life and heritage.
Every trip will teach you something new. The 1.5-hour Private South Channel Fort Boat Tour gives you a personalised view into the military secrets of Port Phillip Bay. Everyone enjoys the stable ride and freedom felt on board our small and robust tour vessel. Open air seating provides all-round view and a feeling of connectedness with the marine environment.
Your friendly crew will guide you as you explore the unique island fort.
- Swift eco style rigid inflatable boat
- Small group tour for a more personalised experience
- Exclusive access to the underground fort complex
- Opportunity to see migrating seasonal wildlife including White-faced Storm Petrels, Penguins and Black-faced Cormorants
- Expert commentary with local qualified guides
Terms & Conditions:
- Tours depart from Sorrento Pier
- Directions to Sorrento Pier
- All Guests must be minimum 5 years of age
- All Guests must be minimum 100cm tall
- Please arrive 15 minutes before tour departure time to ensure you have enough time to check in and make yourself comfortable
- Please dress comfortably and warmly
- Guests with back, neck, shoulder or heart conditions, those who are pregnant or who have injuries/conditions that may cause a risk to their health are advised to not do these tours, or do so at their own risk
- Eligibility of guests to participate in the tour is at the discretion of the Captain who has the right to refuse passage
- Sea conditions can be unpredictable at times, this may cause physical injury, psychological stress or motion sickness
- Tours are rarely cancelled, the experience provider will reschedule your tour only in the case of severe weather which would make the tour unsafe
- Contact us with any queries in relation to your group's specific requirements
- The supplier reserves the right to substitute the vessel and / or change the day’s itinerary without notice